Smoking is injurious to health. It does the major damage when a pregnant women continue to smoke. Smoking can lead to a lot of problems in your baby. The worst thing is that it can lead to sudden infant death syndrome. It is always advisable to quit smoking while pregnant.
What are the effects of smoking during pregnancy?
Smoking during pregnancy will affect the baby adversely.
- It will cause many problems like premature birth and birth defects.
- It may lead to miscarriage.
- It will affect the development of the fetus.
- It may increase the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, the infant death.
- It will affect the weight of the baby.
How can I quit smoking while pregnant?
Quitting smoking during pregnancy is a good decision for baby and mom. But it is very difficult for an addicted woman to stop smoking. Some of the methods to quit smoking include,
- Tell your doctor or midwife that you smoke.
- A counseling – A doctor should convince the woman who is planning a baby or the pregnant woman on the harmful effects of smoking. He should also clearly state the benefits of quitting smoking.
- Try to stop quitting gradually. Reduce your number of cigarettes until it become zero.
- Avoid your reasons for smoking like stress or tension.
- Step back yourself from a smoking area.
- Tell your friends and relatives not to smoke in front of you.
- Try Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) to stop smoking.
- Drugs as prescribed by doctor.
Can smoking cause a preterm labor?
Smoking can cause a preterm labor which can result in low baby weight, very small baby. To recover, your baby will have to stay in the hospital for a longer time. It can even lead to sudden infant death syndrome, so there is no better solution than to avoid smoking.
How can I help my wife quit smoking?
If you smoke yourself, it is equally bad for your baby as it is when your wife smokes. A partner who smokes also leaves adverse effect on the baby. It is advisable that you support your wife during this stage and quit smoking yourself. If you can’t quit smoking, at least avoid smoking when in front of your wife.