Women should maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy. Obesity or overweight during pregnancy increases the risk of complication during pregnancy and birth. Excess weight during pregnancy can increase the risk of many diseases such as diabetes, hypertension etc.
How to check if you have a healthy weight?
You can consult your doctor and know if you have overweight. You can analyze yourself using a BMI calculator.
Your body weight will change in each phase of pregnancy. You must check with your midwife or doctor to analyze if you have a healthy weight.
How to maintain your weight during pregnancy?
Here are some of the steps to maintain your weight during pregnancy.
- Have a healthy diet – Health diet and healthy weight is a must during pregnancy. Plan your diet consulting with a dietitian.
- Have regular exercise – You should consult your doctor before doing any exercises. Exercises like walking, swimming, gardening, pregnancy yoga etc. are good during pregnancy. Having moderate exercises regularly can burn out excess weight. Exercise 30 minutes daily.
- Eat a balanced diet – Have foods rich in protein and nutrients and vitamins. A well balanced diet is good for growth of the baby and health of mom.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables – Fresh fruit and vegetables provide you vitamins with less calories.
- Avoid food with excess fat and calories – Talk with your doctor or midwife and understand how much calories is needed for you. Avoid excess calories.
- Avoid fast foods – Have food cooked at home. Avoid fried items and use less fat foods.
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt etc. can provide you calcium and protein.
- Have plenty of water.
- Avoid too much of sweet.