Most of the women experience backache during pregnancy. The intensity of the pain varies from woman to woman. During pregnancy your body releases a hormone relaxin, which makes the ligaments in your body softer. This can put strain on the joints of your lower back and pelvis which may cause back pain. In addition to this, the extra weight that you gained during pregnancy, poor posture etc. cause strain on your joints that will lead to back pain.
How do I prevent backache in pregnancy?
There are many methods to reduce back pain. You should consult your midwife or doctor so they can suggest you some ways to control back ache. Some ways to reduce back pain include:
- Maintain a good posture while sitting, standing and in your day to day activities
- Avoid Heavy Weight Lifting.
- Try safe lifting techniques like bending your knees by keeping your back straight.
- In case you need to lift weight, try balancing it on both sides.
- Use flat heel shoes. High heels during pregnancy is not advisable.
- Avoid twisting your body
- Don’t bend too much while cleaning or doing other jobs.
- Try comfortable sleeping posture in a firm mattress.
- Have regular exercises – some exercises to reduce back pain are:
a) pelvic floor exercises – to strengthen pelvic muscles
- Take proper rest
- You can consider other therapies like acupuncture
It is advisable to consult your midwife or GP before starting anything new.