What is the need of exercise in pregnancy ? Is exercise dangerous to baby?
Maintaining a healthy routine throughout the pregnancy period is important for mom and the baby. Regular exercise is one of the main factors in maintaining a healthy routine. Most of the exercises are not harmful to your babies, however, you may consult your doctor or midwife before doing exercises and decide according to their advices.
Benefits of Exercises During Pregnancy
There are many benefits of exercises during pregnancy. Some of them are:
- Exercises makes you fit and active in your pregnancy period.
- Exercise can reduce your back pain.
- Exercises can maintain your weight which may be good in your pregnancy.
- Exercises can improve your mental health.
- It reduce the risk of diabetes and hypertension.
- You will get proper sleep when doing exercises.
- It can relieve stress.
- Exercises can make you flexible and improves your fitness.
- It strengthens your muscles.
- It helps you to maintain your body shape after pregnancy.
- It can help you have normal delivery.
What kind of exercises are needed during pregnancy?
Most of the exercises are safe during pregnancy, just ensure you are not stressing yourself much. You should also consider your doctor’s / midwife’s suggestions before you start any exercise. If you have been advised bed rest due to any complications in your pregnancy, you should avoid exercises. Some of the safe exercises include:
- Walking: A half an hour walk everyday do the wonders in pregnancy. Just ensure you are not over-stressing yourself while doing so.
- Swimming: Swimming is the best exercise which a pregnant lady can do. When in water, you do not feel your weight at all and it benefits you.
- Aquanatal Exercises: You should consider joining an aquanatal class. These are fun-filled and light exercises which are good during pregnancy.
- Yoga: Yoga is also a good exercise during pregnancy. Just ensure that your yoga teacher is qualified to handle pregnant students.
- Pilates: Pilates again is a good activity to be done during pregnancy. Again you need to find a qualified pilates trainer.
- Simple stretching exercises: You can do simple stretching exercises at the comfort of your home. Ask your midwife about these exercises.
- Pelvic floor exercises that strengthen your pelvic muscles: These are important to prepare your body for labor or reduce pelvic pain as women might face it. Consult your midwife for these exercises.
What exercises should be avoided during pregnancy?
- Avoid exercises which have higher risk of injury.
- Avoid heavy weight lifting exercises.
- Avoid any activity that causes pain.
- Avoid exercises that involves controlling / holding your breath for longer time. Such exercises should only be done under the supervision of an expert.
- Avoid exercises that lying on your stomach or back.
- Avoid prolonged standing exercises.
What are the tips / guidelines for safe pregnancy exercises?
Some of the tips for pregnancy exercises are,
- Consult your doctor or midwife before starting a new exercise.
- Drink plenty of water. It keeps away your body from dehydration.
- Maintain your posture during the exercise.
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothes while exercising.
- Take enough time to warm up and cool your body.
- Take care when stretching.
- Get up slowly.