Pregnancy is the time when the mother is only thinking about her baby and quitting alcohol for this baby is definitely not impossible. Drinking alcohol during pregnancy is not at all safe. It can have long term effects in your baby’s development. It can also cause serious problems like miscarriage, premature birth or lead to birth defects.
What happens when you drink while pregnant?
If a pregnant woman drinks alcohol, it may pass from mother’s blood to the baby’s blood. The alcohol will harm the baby in the developing stage. It can cause the baby with any long term physical, behavioral or intellectual disabilities.
Too much alcohol consumption can also lead to fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD). Under FASD includes various disorders that are caused to baby due to alcohol consumption by mothers. Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) is the most serious condition among the range of FASDs. Babies born with FASD can have:
- Abnormal Physical Appearance such as less weight, small head, etc.
- Distinctive Facial Features
- Memory Defects
- Learning Problems
- Difficulty with Attention
- Intellectual Disability
- Speech and Language Delays
- Poor Reasoning
- Behavioural Problems etc.
FASD is preventable if a pregnant woman does not drink alcohol
How can you avoid drinking alcohol while pregnant?
Speak to your midwife about your drinking habit. A doctor or midwife should:
- Make you aware about the risks of drinking alcohol during pregnancy.
- They can convince you about the benefits of avoiding alcohol.
If you are pregnant,
- Prevent yourself from getting into a drinking crowd or party.
- Use other non-alcoholic drinks.
- Go for medical advises if needed.
How can you help your wife to avoid alcohol?
As a partner you can help up your wife to avoid alcohol by:
- Avoid drinking alcohol yourself. This will motivate her too.
- If you can’t quit completely, avoid drinking alcohol in front of your wife.
- Moderate your drinking.
- Encourage your wife to use non-alcoholic drinks.
How many units of alcohol is safe during pregnancy?
Drinking alcohol during pregnancy is not at all good. Quit alcohol completely during pregnancy.
It is not at all safe to drink alcohol in the first three months of pregnancy. It is said that 1-2 units per week can still be considered safe, however, quitting it completely is the only safest option. Large amount of alcohol or regular alcohol consumption is unsafe for both mom and the baby. According to UK measures, one unit of alcohol is defined as 10ml (8g) of pure alcohol.
What are the alternatives to alcohol?
Some of the alternatives of alcohol include:
- Non-alcoholic Wine
- Drink Juices
- Green Tea / Herbal Tea